The Toronto Region Research Alliance (TRRA) has recently published its ICT Regional Innovation Cluster Report. This is the first in a series of reports that are intended to highlight strengths of research-oriented industries in the Toronto Region. The report profiles three areas that are drivers of innovation – industry, academia, and research.
Here are some key findings:
- There are four emerging ICT areas to watch for: cloud computing, mobile technology, digital media and green ICT
- Canada has a higher percentage of science and engineering degrees conferred and researchers per capital than the OECD average
In the Toronto Region:
- Ranks 4th in North American by number of ICT-related jobs
- Of Canada’s 250 largest ICT companies, 100 are located in here
- 2.9% of the labour force is employed in ICT-related roles
- 13,000 ICT firms in the region making up 35% of all ICT businesses in Canada, generating estimated combined revenues of $54 billion
- ~80% of the firms are software or service firms
- The geographic distribution of Canada research chairs in ICT is 31%
Click here for the complete report.
The RIC blog is designed as a showcase for entrepreneurs and innovation. Our guest bloggers provide a wealth of information based on their personal experiences. Visit RIC Centre for more information on how RIC can accelerate your ideas to market.