The University of Toronto has received funding to launch a new initiative, the Graduate Enterprise Internship (GEI) Program .
The GEI is a six month paid internship program for students in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) programs who graduated within the last five years (2008-2012) and Master’s students, PhD and Post Docs that are currently enrolled in a graduate program or graduated within the last five years (2008-2012).
Target Sector: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
STEM Employers hiring STEM Interns.
Financial support is available as a contribution towards an intern’s salary for the 6month internship term. The student intern receives a minimum salary of $30,000. The employer must contribute a minimum of 50 percent of the intern’s salary and benefits.
- $15,000 employer contribution – Intern with a Master’s/PhD/Post-Doc Degree OR Enrolled in a Master’s/PhD Program STEM sector (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
Time-lines & Duration
- The GEI Program will be operating from January 2012 – March 2014.
- The GEI 6-month internship term must occur between January 2012 and March 2014.
Internship Length, Start and End Date
6-months paid internship (full-time commitment, no enrolment in studies or working part-time)
An employer may hire multiple interns but not hire an intern for multiple internship terms. Internships are not intended to extend those funded by other organizations.
- Obtained a Bachelor’s/Advanced/Master’s/PhD/Post-Doc Degree in the last 5years (2008-2012) within the STEM sector (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s/PhD/Post-Doc program within the STEM sector (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
Intern Development and Preparation
- Ongoing support will be available during the recruitment process and throughout the internship term. In preparation, via individual consultation appointments and workshops with career counselors interns will be introduced to the dynamics of the workplace, develop a clear understanding of the employment relationship, and assess and market their skills and interest so they can form an awareness of their potential and contribution.
For more information, please visit the Graduate Enterprise Internship (GEI) Program web-site at :
A message regarding this opportunity will also be sent directly to the students (see below). Should you have any questions about program administration, please contact Chioma Ekpo:email@example.com.