Ontario Investing in Training for Young Entrepreneurs
Province Supporting the Next Generation of Business Leaders
April 28, 2015 1:00 P.M.
Ontario is helping the next generation of entrepreneurs by providing access to training and mentoring to launch their ideas into businesses.
The province is partnering with Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) to provide customized training for social entrepreneurs to help grow their business. The Ontario Social Impact Vouchers pilot program will provide 125 vouchers worth up to $3,000 each to eligible social entrepreneurs across Ontario to get training specific to their needs.
In addition, through the Young Entrepreneurs, Make Your Pitch competition, the province is giving young entrepreneurs the chance to pitch their business ideas to experts and the public.
Competition winners were announced today at OCE Discovery in Toronto. Six successful high school students will receive $750 towards their postsecondary education from Desire2Learn and a reserved spot in Ontario’s Summer Company program, which provides mentoring and funding to help launch businesses.
Supporting youth entrepreneurship is part of the government’s economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people’s talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
” There is a clear connection between developing the skills and talents of young people, and our economic success as a province. Initiatives like the Make Your Pitch competition and the Ontario Social Impact Voucher help us nurture the next generation of business leaders. We will continue creating an inviting environment for our next generation of entrepreneurs, ensuring they develop the right skills needed to succeed in a globally competitive economy and build the future of Ontario.”
– Brad Duguid
Minister of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure
” Ontario Centres of Excellence is pleased to partner with the Ontario government to promote entrepreneurship through Make Your Pitch and Ontario Social Impact Voucher pilot. Entrepreneurs are a significant contributor to Ontario’s economy, and through these programs, we’re helping to provide resources and supports these future entrepreneurs need to transform their ideas into experience.”
– Tom Corr
President and CEO, Ontario Centres of Excellence
- More than 300 students entered the Make Your Pitch competition by creating a short video that described their idea for a new business or innovation.
- The competition is part of Ontario’s recently expanded Youth Jobs Strategy.
- More than 27,000 job opportunities have been created under the strategy since it launched in the fall of 2013.
- Summer Company, which provides up to $3,000 in funding along with personal business mentoring, helped students launch 940 businesses in 2014.
- The Ontario Social Impact Vouchers pilot builds on Ontario’s Social Enterprise Strategy commitment to provide capacity-building support for social enterprises.
- Ontario recently launched its first Social Enterprise Progress Report.
- Ontario Centres of Excellence
- Get details about the Young Entrepreneurs, Make Your Pitch competition.
- Read the Social Enterprise Progress Report.
|Andrew Forgione Minister’s Office
416-212-4217Brigitte Marleau Communications Branch
|Available OnlineDisponible en Français|