Businesses from Brampton and Mississauga met with Hon. Brad Duguid, Minister of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure, at the July 24th seminar held in partnership between The Brampton and Mississauga Boards of Trade.
Brad Duguid notes: “Our government will help business become more globally competitive to create more job opportunities and more economic growth here in Ontario.”
The Ministry is committed to support a strong, innovative and competitive economy that will provide jobs and prosperity for all Ontarians through the following methods:
- Supporting regional growth in key priority sectors
- Implementing research and innovation policies to deliver an agenda that focuses on excellence, performance and results
- Strengthening Ontario, nationally and internationally as a premier location for investment, trade, research, innovation and commercialization
- Promoting the modernization of government
- Making Ontario more accessible and inclusive
Minister Duguid mentioned the transforming nature of today’s economy – technology and innovation will change the landscape of Ontario’s economy over the next 5 years.
It’s important for all levels of the government to work closely with the business community and municipalities to better market to investors. Efforts are starting to pay off with Ontario ranking #1 in foreign direct investment for two years in a row with over 560,000 net new jobs since the 2008 recession. Important infrastructure investments are also important to facilitate growth.
With new disruptive technologies including robots, genomics, sensors, advanced computing, autonomous vehicles and 3D printing, it’s important for small-to-medium sized businesses and large corporations to stay ahead and lead the change.