In 2016, the CNE will bring forward the latest innovative ideas created by young people across Ontario. The CNE will offer an opportunity for young people to “pitch” their new, innovative projects to the general public, government officials and venture capitalists.
This pitch will be made two ways:
- a direct 3-minute appeal to the audience; and
- an interactive display as part of an exhibit that people who are interested can see the product/concept up close, touch it, ask questions, and give feedback.
The CNE will approach post-secondary Innovation Hubs across Ontario with direction from the Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE). This will be an open call and competitors will be chosen based on the criteria on the Pitch Application.
The Pitch Competition
The Pitch Competition will take place August 19 to 21, 2016. There will be five qualifying competitions based on the categories described below with the winners of each category competing for the grand prize during the final pitch event on August 21.
The event will be hosted in the East Annex of the Ricoh Coliseum hereinafter called the CNE Innovation Garage. This space will feature a stage, with a video wall and podium.
The Pitch Competition Categories
- Agri-tech & Food-tech (Friday, August 19 at 12:30 pm)
- This category focusses on advancements in the agriculture field including everything from farm to table.
- Bio-tech (Friday, August 19 at 3 pm)
- This category focusses on advancements in the biological and medical fields with an emphasis on health and innovations that can benefit our aging society.
- Life-Style Innovation (Saturday, August 20 at 12:30 pm)
- This category is a broad overview of any and all innovations that make a mark on everyday life, from automated cars to wearable technology and everything in between.
- Social Innovation (Saturday, August 20 at 3 pm)
- This category will explore innovations in education, philanthropy, and culture.
- Virtual/Augmented Reality Innovation (Sunday, August 21 at 12:30 pm)
- This category will feature innovations that utilize virtual or augmented reality.
There will be a prize package of $5,000 for each of the above categories.
Winners of each category will compete in the finals for the top prize of $25,000 cash, on Sunday, August 21 at 5:30 pm!
How to Enter
Eligible contestants must meet the following criteria:
- Co-founder of their company or hold key position and between 18-35 years old
- Company must be incorporated
- Only one entry per company. Company may not submit multiple entries to different categories
- Company must have at least a functional prototype of their product/service
Along with your entry form, a YouTube video link must be submitted at the same time as your entry. When preparing your YouTube video, make sure to insert “CNE Emerging Innovators Pitch Competition 2016” in the title of the video as well as your name. Videos not properly labelled may not be considered.
Before applying, ensure you read the Terms & Conditions.
Entry forms must be received by 11:59 pm on June 25, 2016.