Every year, Mary Meeker releases an internet trend report that keeps you up to date on everything technology. Mary is a Kleiner Perkins venture partner that remains savvy within the tech industry. The report has everything you need to know about global internet trends, online advertising, e-commerce, gaming, media, the cloud and much much more.
Here’s a first look at the most highly anticipated slide deck in Silicon Valley. This year’s report includes 355 slides and tons of information, including a new section on healthcare that Meeker didn’t present live.
You can check out the 2017 Internet Trend Report here:
For reference, you can check out the 2016 Internet Trend Report here
Here are a few initial takeaways from the 2017 report:
- Smartphone sales and Internet penetration growth are both slowing
- It’s not really a “shift to mobile” as much as “the addition of mobile”, since desktop usage hasn’t declined much while mobile usage has skyrocketed to over three hours per day per person in the US
- There’s still more time spent on mobile than ad spend, indicating forthcoming windfalls for mobile ad platforms
- Google and Facebook control 85% of online ad growth
- Internet ad spend will surpass TV spend within six months
- Streaming music led by Spotify surpassed physical music sales, giving recorded music its first revenue growth in 16 years
- eSports are exploding, with viewing time up 40% year over year, and an equal number of millennials strongly preferring eSports vs traditional sports
- Email spam with malicious attachments is exploding as cloud usage increases, so be careful what you click
- Tech companies drive wealth creation in China, where people pay for livestreaming, and bike sharing usage is skyrocketing
- Falling data costs are driving increasing Internet adoption in India, but smartphone prices remain too high
- 60% of the most-highly valued tech companies in America were founded by first or second generation Americans while 50% of the top private startups were founded by first-gen immigrants